On 14/07/11 11:52, "Alex J. G. Burzyński" wrote:
Hi Tim,

If you are after caching the responses, maybe an easier solution would
be to use a reverse proxy - like Varnish?

You would be then in complete control over the incoming and outgoing
headers and could cache responses based on the url / inject Expires
headers so browsers could cache them too etc.

Cheers,
Alex

[Sorry Alex, hit reply instead of reply-list]

Hi Alex,

I was initially also thinking Squid - but it's rather heavy.

I have not come across Varnish but having a quick look (and noting it is available on Debian - good) it looks like a damn good option.

I think you are right - apache is great, but the order of execution of modules is not well documented and prone to changing (hence my original question here) and trying to splice effectively 3 filters together (proxy, header-fiddling and cache) is probably doomed to grief.

Thanks for the tip - I'm off to try that today!

All the best,

Tim

--
Tim Watts