Yes, CPAN has very, very useful things. I consider its biggest problems
1) too difficult to find things when not knowing what one wants, 2) a
huge undergrowth of modules that are either bad quality or unmaintained
or duplicated with a later module. The number of lingering bugs are an
obstacle, yet at the same time super-useful things are "hiding" in plain
view.

Apropos, Perl Dancer was "hiding" for me because I didn't see it here,
http://search.cpan.org/modlist/World_Wide_Web .. but many more such
discoveries in the past. A simple global ranking by popularity (the
number of times downloaded) and/or by size and maturity (time located
on CPAN) would expose many "new" things to many, I think. If other
modules depend on them, then that may speak to quality somewhat, and
much better rating could be done. MongoDB would probably make managing
the collection easier. But, I am grateful for what exists of course.

While watching the language certainly, I'm moving from Apache/mod_perl
to Dancer/Nginx for speed and memory reason.

Ok, back to lurk-mode,

Niels Larsen