On Tuesday, 28 February 2012 18:14:20 Vincent Veyron wrote:
> I am a tiny one-man company using mod_perl with great success(*) and
> pleasure, and your post has me very worried that it could end in a
> hurry

So am I and so are many (perhaps most) of the other contributors. What I am
trying to say is, if modperl is the basis of your business why don't you start
contribute? You'll be in good and friendly company.

This is how I got to modperl. In the late 1990ies I did a project involving
mp1. That was almost my first encounter with Perl. A few years later that
client wanted to switch to httpd 2.0. So, they hired me again. At that time I
had a few years of experience in Perl. I also had skimmed through
perlxs/guts/api but was far from understanding it. I had tried a few examples
but that was all.

One of the first things I did for modperl was a fix for APR::Base64.I had
noticed that one of encode() or decode() left a superfluous \0 byte at the end
of the resulting string. Of course I could switch to MIME::Base64 and forget
about APR::Base64. But that would mean to dupliate the code to work with
base64 encoding - something I don't like at all. So, I tried to fix the bug
and surprisingly succeeded. It wasn't by far as complicated as I had expected.
In the end the patch I sent to the mailing list didn't get applied as I had
sent it, I think (but maybe this was another patch). Someone more experienced
had found a better solution.

At that time I had reported to my client that mp2 works. I also had read the
docs and was intrigued by "PerlInterpScope handler". I had asked on the users
list if it was a good idea to use it and was encouraged by Stas to go ahead.
Well, it was disastrous and I ended up hacking modperl_interp.c. I think I
have found and fixed a few bugs. And - much more important - I have learned a
big deal about httpd, modperl and perl. Also, before that time I seldom
reported bugs or wrote to mailing lists. I was too shy - my command of English
was embarrassing.

Also, it occurred to me that the creators of all of these shining open source
programs are not god-like creatures but people like you and me. And if I want
these projects to succeed I have to contribute my share.

I didn't want to worry you. Quite the contrary, I wanted to encourage people
to join. Give it time and modperl will support httpd 2.4. But it requires work
to be done. You can help.

Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation.

Torsten Förtsch

Like fantasy? http://kabatinte.net