Vincent Veyron schrieb am 18.04.2012 um 02:11 (+0200):
> Le mercredi 18 avril 2012 à 00:30 +0200, Michael Ludwig a écrit :
>
> >  Maybe people can come up with more helpful
> > suggestions if you post a concrete example of what is cumbersome.
> >

> Sure, the app in my sig has a demo a account which you can use for
> that.
>
> This is an application for the management of insurance claims and
> legal cases. Go into any 'Dossier' (French for folder/case) and hit
> the 'Tiers' tab (French for 'Third Party') at the top of the screen.
>
> There should be at least one person in there, if not you can add one;
> click on 'Afficher les modèles' in that person's info.

Got lost here, but your description makes sense even without the real
thing, so …

> But for statistical reports for instance, various inputs from the user
> are often required (what year for instance) and there is no place to
> put them in my setup. Maintaining a table and a form to manage all
> sorts of parameters associated with various reports just seems
> impractical.
>
> That is the reason I was looking for a way to put the query inside the
> report, so that it could be sent with the proper parameters to the
> server. That however has other problems, as seen upthread.

It sounds like you want to have some sort of webservice for this to work
without coupling the client documents too tightly to the server backend.
At least that's what I would consider doing given my understanding of
the problem (which may be wrong).

Best,

Michael