A few questions:

  Precisely when do you get this error?  When startup.pl exits or before?

  Can you send a copy of your startup.pl file?

  You get exactly the same error on startup and shutdown?

  If PerlRequire startup.pl is commented out, do you still get errors?

  Do you get errors when a child starts or ends?  Or just the main
  process?

  Why does your error message say Process ID=0?  Are other messages
  different?  Does the error show up on the command line or in the log?

 -Jim