On 06/03/2013 03:14 PM, Perrin Harkins wrote:
On Monday, June 3, 2013, Xinhuan Zheng wrote:
 > What is the check to see if the server is restarting? Is that new child
processes spawning?

I always found the best way to run/test Apache::DBI was to run a mod-perl
enabled http server without Apache::DBI.
Test, let the webserver go idle, do not shutdown, check for live connections to
the database. If any, you are doing it wrong :)
Each request should create and destroy 1 database connection (or less)

Once there are no hanging connections, ever, implement Apache::DBI as a simple
use statement.
You have accomplished 90% of what is possible.

In today's modern world there are better solutions that can be controlled by
the developer.
DBIx::Connector being the most common I believe

DO NOT USE Apache::DBI with DBI::Connector or any other database caching
technique. This requires
knowledge of the code!!!

As an administrator I still rely and depend on Apache::DBI, even if it is
unsupported.
The only issue I have ever encountered is needing a specific version to talk to
an Oracle 8 database
Or where it is caching a cached handle I think is in the cache, I think, please
let us not do this anymore.......

YMMV
Dave

--
Dave Morgan
Senior Consultant, 1001111 Alberta Limited