That is heavily dependent on the architecture of your application but,
architecture permitting, this is why you need to have different types of
tests. In my case, I work with a SOFEA(Service Oriented Front End
Architecture) which is the formal way of saying that I have a
html/javascript front end which talks to HTTP/REST/JSON web services via
Ajax calls which originate from a web browser. In this kind of
architecture, for example, you can create integration tests which test the
end-to-end behavior of your system between the web service client(a web
browser in this case but could just as easily be an iphone) and all of the
server-side components all the way down to your data store(usually a
relational database) and back again. Unit tests, by contrast, are generally
for testing isolated behavior within a small subset of your code base.
Automated user interface testing, by contrast, is an entirely different(and
very complicated) topic requiring entirely different tools. This kind of
testing isn't simply concerned with the UI behaving correctly but also with
verifying that it behaves correctly in as many browsers, operating systems,
and browser versions as possible. I've previously used tools like Selenium
for this kind of testing with great success.

--
John Dunlap
*CTO | Lariat *

*Direct:*