We don't use any of those hooks into Apache. mod_perl invokes our main
handler and, from there, we do everything ourselves. We even built our own
authentication and authorization mechanisms, directly into our application,
instead of relying on Apache to provide them. We've contained all mod_perl
specific code to 2-3 files so that we have more freedom to decide how and
where our application will be deployed.

--
John Dunlap
*CTO | Lariat *