> On 25.01.2019 18:35, John Dunlap wrote:
> > I'm in the process of optimizing our web application for performance and
> > one thing that I
> > was really excited to try was mod_http2 because it allows the browser to
> > send multiple
> > requests through the same TCP connection with compressed headers. However,
> > when I enabled
> > it and restarted apache I was greeted with this:
> >
> > [Fri Jan 25 12:30:57.813355 2019] [http2:warn] [pid 10186] AH10034: The mpm
> > module
> > (prefork.c) is not supported by mod_http2. The mpm determines how things
> > are processed in
> > your server. HTTP/2 has more demands in this regard and the currently
> > selected mpm will
> > just not do. This is an advisory warning. Your server will continue to
> > work, but the
> > HTTP/2 protocol will be inactive.
> > [Fri Jan 25 12:30:57.828217 2019] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 10186] AH00163:
> > Apache/2.4.29
> > (Ubuntu) OpenSSL/1.1.0g mod_apreq2-20090110/2.8.0 mod_perl/2.0.10
> > Perl/v5.26.1 configured
> > -- resuming normal operations
> > [Fri Jan 25 12:30:57.828238 2019] [core:notice] [pid 10186] AH00094:
> > Command line:
> > '/usr/sbin/apache2'
> >
> > The last time I tried to use either mpm_worker or mpm_event my application
> > was plagued by
> > seemingly random segfaults. Are there any plans to support other MPM's? If
> > not, the
> > benefits of HTTP2 appear to be permanently out of reach for our mod_perl
> > applications and
> > that, honestly, might force us into seriously reevaluating our technology
> > stack. :(
> >

> Am I allowed to jump into the same thread, and ask about what the general
> status of
> mod_perl is, nowadays (if someone knows) ?
> I am very happy with mod_perl, which we have been using for many years and
> still use
> extensively in our applications.
> And it is true that mod_perl allows one to "do things" in/with Apache httpd,
> that no other
> Apache add-on module seems to even approach.
> But it seemed that it took quite a long time for mod_perl to become available
> again when
> Apache went from 2.2 to 2.4, and it seems indeed that not much is happening
> lately in
> terms of making it work reliably under MPM's other than prefork.
> So I am curious too, like John above.
>
> (Mind you, for us MPM prefork and HTTP 1.1 are still perfectly ok, but the
> question is
> more about the longer-term future).

        I'm also curious about this as I anticipate HTTP/2 support becoming
a valuable and important feature in the future (the recent updates to
mod_perl2 have been good for us).

        We use mod_perl2 extensively in all the web site application
programming that we do.  We just finished writing an online store
application, and are now in the process of creating a social network
platform, both of which are using mod_perl2 and PostgreSQL.

        Being able to write Perl code to handle the authentication phases
directly, and pass our DBI handle and other instantiated Perl objects
to other Perl scripts in the same session using $r->pnotes has also
provided wonderful performance benefits.

        Perl has such a vast array of modules that make it easy to
accomplish a lot productively without having to "re-invent the wheel"
and so I regard mod_perl2 as one of Apache HTTPd's most valuable
modules that has ever been created.

Randolf Richardson - rand...@inter-corporate.com
Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
http://www.inter-corporate.com/