Agree with this we use AAA handlers - but more importantly output filters to allow content to be decorated per site (independent of what generates the content perl/java/php proxied content etc...} and add in a few useful extra logging features that rely on things like transHandlers and log & cleanup handlers you just can't quite get these working well with plack/PSGI.

There is a balance between HTTP/1.1 and HTTP/2.0 that you can strike by mixing a matching backends dependant on content - I use three apaches on my machines one using event handler which receives all requests, and servers some static content and proxies back to either a dev apache or live apache dependent on what the URL is...

This gives me the best of both worlds....