As a long-time fan and user of mod_perl, I like so much the way this
conversation is turning.

I also wonder if there is a formal process, perhaps an ASF process, for
coordinating the objectives voiced in this thread with the resources
required to achieve them?

For example, I believe Steve Hay has led mod_perl2 development lately,
versions 2.0.9 and 2.0.10, anyway.  Should he be engaged, or if the
leadership of the project has been handed off, whoever has taken over?  Do
the project steward(s) follow this mailing list?

I don't mean to get in the way of positive and well-intended progress. I
love mod_perl and only want the best for its future development.

But there might be other development plans in progress with which
coordination would be helpful.

--
Read my Latest Blog Post for Telecom Pros:  *Excel Telecom Tricks -
Sequential Numbering