From: powder girl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: carpeted dancefloor? sacre bleu!

Was it just me and my companions who thought the
carpeted floor was odd for dancing?  No talc on that
"dancefloor," for sure!  That, in addition to the
narrow dance area just made for a limited dancing
experience.  Why wasn't the "lower lever" (ie, the
part where the one could go right up to the cool
slanted windows) used?  The place just wasn't used to
its fullest capacity.

-Okay Helen, when you can come up with the $10,000 a night that it
approximately costs to completely rent Encounter, I'm sure you'll be able to
afford to rent wooden floors and "talc power" and DEFINATELY use the club to
it's fullest potential!

About the music...I thought there was an interesting
selection.  There was some great songs being spun, but
some transitions between songs were too abrupt.  The
sometimes odd juxtapositions of a classic '60s era
French gem with some bland contempo electronic Frenchy
pop was too much of a contrast.  Don't get me wrong.
Contrast is good. When it's done right, it can keep
dancers on their toes, so to speak.  But I think the
pairing of songs seemed quite random that particular
night.

- Their were four D.J's that night, all whose musical tastes were very
varied, unlike yours, I gather.  It was "French POP" not French 60's
"northern soul" or French "mod"!

The crowd and the clothes:  I think whoever said that
some of the girls looked like they got their outfits
from a day-after-Halloween-markoff sale was right on.
More plastic '60s( 'a la Austin Powers) rather than
stylish clothes.  Many of the guys, though not as
flamboyantly dressed as some of these ladies, were no
better than the ladies because they were quite
under-dressed.  Perhaps this has something to do with
the much older crowd there???

-Older crowd ah? If it weren't for some of the older crowd like Greg Shaw
from Bomp/Voxx Records and The Cavern Club, Ted Myers from The Lost, The 60's
journilist Gene Scullitti (sp), 60's archivist;Dick Blackburn, Carrie and
Dave from Scoot Magazine Quarterly, Tony Sanchez and Audrey Moorhead...etc
You dear Helen, would probablly know alot less about "The 60's" than you do
(or think you do)!

Oh and the clothes! Yes some were stupid, but the people were having FUN and
clubs are about having fun!!!!
Guess that you don't know enough about 60's fashion to have noticed that a
good portion of the crowd were wearing Pucci, Chanel, Fred Perry and Mary
Quant "60" clothing! Or in generic terms;pegged pants, three button jackets,
tent dresses, Jackie O suits...

all best,
Helen - "talcum powder on the uncarpeted floor girl"