Mark Dedlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[snip]

> Actually, I suspect this is some sort of Netscape bug.  I can
> only cause the problem on NS 4.5 Unix (Solaris).  I cannot
> reproduce the problem on Windows, or with MSIE. Also, it
> only occurs when Basic Authorization is required.  It appears
> that NS is getting the 401-Auth required, but not then
> prompting the user for auth info; instead it turns around and
> requests the document again,... in an endless loop.

I can see this happening for two reasons. Either the Realm returned in the
header matches a Realm you've already authenticated in, so the browser is
sending that username and passwd pair. Or a Location is present in the
header, which points back to the same document, which would be very odd.
Location is not allowed with a 401. So perhaps it's just this particular
browser which honors it.

Just some wild ideas.

-Tom