Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> >  I'm not sure where the SSLeay library error would be found.
>
> Usually directly following this error message. But there
> are some cases inside SSLeay where no error message is set.

 I figured as much.  Ah well.

> Usually it doesn't matter where it was generated, because the format
> and encoding is standardized. What you should do is to run the
> commands
>
>     $ ssleay x509 -noout -text -in server.crt
>     $ ssleay rsa  -noout -text -in server.key
>
> and make sure that both print reasonable things and don't complain.

 They *seem* sane enough -- no complaints, no errors, lots of
two-digit binary numbers seperated by colons (in case you hadn't
guessed, I'm not particularily encryption-literate...)

> I guess you're problem is already at this stage. Perhaps the
> server.key is not PEM encoded, etc.

 How could I tell, or should the above have told me?  Is there a way
of getting more detailed logging?