Ralf,

> On Mon, Jan 18, 1999, Mark Dedlow wrote:
>
> > I've been running mod_ssl-2.1.0-1.3.3 for months without
> > a problem and using my own Auth handler ona high port. Now
> > I'm trying to run it in on port 443, and if I connect
> > via https:/host:443/ it works fine, but https:/host/
> > (no explicit port), NS 4.5 goes into a endless loop
> > requesting the page, getting a 401, but never popping
> > up the user/pw dialog.
>
> Sounds strange, because 443 _is_ the default port.
>
> > Anyone seen anything like this? Any suggestions where to look?
>
> No, I've only seen such hangs when you connect to the port 443 with HTTP (i.e
> http://host:443/) or via HTTPS to port 80 (i.e. https://host:80/). And
> here they can be expected, of course.
>
> What you can do to trace down the thing is to start a different server on por
> 443, e.g. s_server or FreeBSD's socket program. This way you can capture the
> request which came in on https://host:443/ _and_ https://host/. I'm sure they
> are either differnet or you get only one at all (for instance the other
> reaches something else but not host:443). When you upgrade to a more recent
> mod_ssl 2.1.x you can even use "SSLLogLevel debug" to see what SSL handshake
> messages are actually reaching your server.

It doesn't "hang" like it does with the wrong protocol, but
rather it cycles endlessly, i.e. Netscape tries over and over
again. My access log shows "...GET / HTTP/1.0 401 401"
at a rate of 2-3 per/second.  So I am connecting to 443,
no doubt about that.

I'll try upgrading and turning on SSLLogLevel debug, as
well as s_server.

Thanks,

Mark