On Fri, Mar 26, 1999 at 11:45:41AM +0000, John Imrie wrote:

>> I just discovered I couldn't connect to this site with Mac IE 4.
[...]
>> "Unable to estabish a secure connection ... there is a problem with the
>> security certificate from this site." It's not like I have option to
>> trust the site's security (like netscape gives you), [...]

> That's the problem with Microsoft. They don't want you to trust
> anyone who hasn't paid them lots of money. :)

I recently used IE 5.0 for some seconds and found out that these
annoyances have been removed: The user is told exactly what's wrong
and what's O.K. with a certificate (known/unkown CA, valid/invalid,
correct/wrong site-name), and there is the possibility to connect even
if something's wrong.  Also, the silly bug was fixed that you had to
delete the cache after accepting a new CA certificate.  All that looks
really nice now -- different from Netscape, but everything seems to
make sense.

The problem is of course that IE 5 is not available for Macs (after
all, it's a core part of the Windows operating system, as everyone
knows by now :-).

Bodo M"oller
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>