On Sun, Sep 20, 1998, Magnus Bodin wrote:

> OK; this is very trivial; but the new APACI-interface and the lack of having
> control over module-order buzzes me off to ask this simple question:
>
> How do I (step by step) compile apache with both mod_ssl + mod_perl and
> + some extra module (in my case mod_auth_cookie.c)

I'll answer this by adding such a complete example to the INSTALL for for the
next version. Here is the part I've now added:

  Examples
  --------

  As you noticed above there are a lot of possibilities, variants and options
  for installing mod_ssl. So in the following we provide some step-by-step
  lists for common situations. For simplification we assume the following
  prerequisites (when these don't fit your situation you have to adjust
  the steps with the help of the above detailed instructions, of course):

      1. Apache should be installed to /path/to/apache
      2. Perl is installed and `perl' is in $PATH
      3. SSLeay is installed under /path/to/ssleay
      4. RSAref have not be used

  And here are the examples:

    $ gzip -d -c apache_1.3.x.tar.gz | tar xvf -
    $ gzip -d -c mod_ssl-2.0.x-1.3.x.tar.gz | tar xvf -
    $ gzip -d -c mod_perl-1.xx.tar.gz | tar xvf -
    $ cd mod_ssl-2.0.x-1.3.x
    $ ./configure
          --with-apache=../apache_1.3.x
    $ cd ../mod_perl-1.xx
    $ perl Makefile.PL
          EVERYTHING=1
          APACHE_SRC=../apache_1.3.x/src
          USE_APACI=1
          PREP_HTTPD=1
          DO_HTTPD=1
    $ make
    $ make install
    $ cd ../apache_1.3.x
    $ SSL_BASE=/path/to/ssleay
      ./configure
          --prefix=/path/to/apache
          --enable-module=ssl
          --activate-module=src/modules/perl
          --enable-module=perl
    $ make
    $ make certificate
    $ make install
    $ cd ..
    $ rm -rf mod_perl-1.xx
    $ rm -rf mod_ssl-2.0.x-1.3.x
    $ rm -rf apache_1.3.x

> I have no problem with just mod_perl and mod_auth_cookie, as I can do
> the mod_perl thing first, then hand edit apache_1.3.1/Configuration;
> but with two (both mod_ssl and mod_perl) auto-script-modifiers I do
> have some problems. I also have no problem with just mod_ssl apaci-style.
>
> In what order do I do stuff?
>
> This ought to be a FAQ and be answered somewhere.

Yes, that's why it's best to directly add it to the INSTALL file, IMO.