Woohoo!!!  It worked!!  Your post sparked me to start playing around
with httpd a bit more...here's my problem:

/usr/local/apache/sbin/httpd -DSSL &

Was sticking the process in the background along with the prompt for
the pass phrase.   I could have sworn I had tried it w/o the & earlier
and it didn't work.  I may not have tried it after upgrading to 1.3.3
and 2.0.13.

Perhaps we can add this to the FAQ for other dummies like myself.

"Why does apache with mod_ssl not prompt me for a password and then
die?"

"You must not run the process in the background"

Of course, it can go into more detail than that, though.

I want to thank everyone who responded to my problems!
Jay Ribak