On Tue, Nov 03, 1998, Levente Farkas wrote:

> I would like to setup a secure web server on our linux server. When I look
> around I found there is a apache-ssl and mod-ssl which are different.  Which
> one would be better to use ?  I don't want to start a relegius war, I just
> want to know the difference and mainly the benefits both of them

This question is a critical one, of course. Because it will always be a
religion point (similar to EGCS vs. GCC, BeroFTPd vs. WU-FTPd, etc).  Although
as one of the authors I'm biased in my opinions I can at least say that there
is no _generally_ better one. Because what is better depends on the
environment, the requirements and especially the skill of the user (i.e.
_YOU_).

So, as you already recognized, there are only a lot of _differences_ you can
look at and then decide on your own whether they make one of the solutions
better or not better for _your_ personal situation. Here are a few URLs to
mod_ssl documents from where you can extract some details about the
differences:

o The mod_ssl 2.0 and 2.1 CHANGES files:
  (the 2.0 CHANGES entries are mainly the difference to Apache-SSL)
  http://www.engelschall.com/sw/mod_ssl/news/changelog.phtml
  http://www.engelschall.com/sw/mod_ssl/news/changelog21b.phtml

o Slide #6 from the mod_ssl presentation at ApacheCon'98
  (the first column is mainly the difference to Apache-SSL)
  http://www.engelschall.com/sw/mod_ssl/docs/apachecon/mod_ssl.slides/slide-06.html

o Some details are also inside the FAQ:
  http://www.engelschall.com/sw/mod_ssl/docs/#FAQ-diffs

AFAIK (Ben?) there is no dedicated document from the Apache-SSL area which
gives details about the relationship/differences between Apache-SSL and the
other SSL solutions, so I cannot give you an URL here.

But the best hacker way and more objective approach to make a good decision is
to look at the sources, of course. You can grab the full source of both
Apache-SSL and mod_ssl, so do it! It's available in order to allow you to look
at it. The URLs are:

  ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/crypto/SSL/apache_1.3.3+ssl_1.28.tar.gz
  ftp://ftp.engelschall.com/sw/mod_ssl/mod_ssl-2.1b7-1.3.3.tar.gz

Greetings,