On Mon, Jan 18, 1999, Mark Dedlow wrote:

> I've been running mod_ssl-2.1.0-1.3.3 for months without
> a problem and using my own Auth handler ona high port. Now
> I'm trying to run it in on port 443, and if I connect
> via https:/host:443/ it works fine, but https:/host/
> (no explicit port), NS 4.5 goes into a endless loop
> requesting the page, getting a 401, but never popping
> up the user/pw dialog.

Sounds strange, because 443 _is_ the default port.

> Anyone seen anything like this? Any suggestions where to look?

No, I've only seen such hangs when you connect to the port 443 with HTTP (i.e.
http://host:443/) or via HTTPS to port 80 (i.e. https://host:80/). And
here they can be expected, of course.

What you can do to trace down the thing is to start a different server on port
443, e.g. s_server or FreeBSD's socket program. This way you can capture the
request which came in on https://host:443/ _and_ https://host/. I'm sure they
are either differnet or you get only one at all (for instance the other
reaches something else but not host:443). When you upgrade to a more recent
mod_ssl 2.1.x you can even use "SSLLogLevel debug" to see what SSL handshake
messages are actually reaching your server.