> We can access non secure web pages as "http://server/" and
> "http://server/~user" but "https://server/" fails with the
> following error message:
>
>   Netscape's network connection was refused by the server:
>   <ServerName>
>   The server may not be accepting connections or
>   may be busy.
>
>   Try connecting again later.

I'm not an expert but ... This rather implies that your server machine has
no process listening on port 443. I think you should post relevant details
from your httpd.conf file(s) and/or output from
        "netstat -a | grep LISTEN"

Are you sure you've modified the server config to cause it to expect SSL
connections (as well as built it to be capable of them) ?