>>>>> Fred Read writes:

Fred> We can access non secure web pages as "http://server/" and
Fred> "http://server/~user" but "https://server/" fails with the
Fred> following error message:

Fred>   Netscape's network connection was refused by the server:
Fred>   <ServerName>
Fred>   The server may not be accepting connections or
Fred>   may be busy.

Fred>   Try connecting again later.

What do the Apache log files say ?  Do ls -lt /usr/local/apache/logs
to get the files listed in order of when they were last modified and
check out the files that got modified at about the time you got the
error.

If its possible do 'tail -f /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log' in one
xterm and run Netscape and see what happens.  Also do a similar thing
with access_log in another window at the same time.

Do a similar thing (tail -f) with error_log when you are starting the
apache server.  See if you are getting any errors on startup.  Does it
mention that it is starting Apache with mod_ssl ??

Are you sure the server is up and running ?  What does
'ps -ef | grep httpd'   show ?

Fred> We are running:

Fred>     Apache 1.3.4,
Fred>     OpenSSL 0.9.2b,
Fred>     mod_ssl 2.2.5-1.3.4

Fred> compiled with gcc 2.7.2.3 and linked with Solaris ld under
Fred> Solaris 2.7

Have you tried Apache 1.3.6 and mod_ssl 2.2.8-1.3.6 ?

mehul
--
"I dont want to start / Any blasphemous rumours / But I think that God's
gotta sick sense of humour / And when I die I expect to find him laughing "