On Fri, May 07, 1999, Ted Rolle wrote:

> > situation.  The problem is that for OpenSSL's parsing routines there seems to
> > be no difference between "not found" and "not decryptable" here and this way
> > mod_ssl can't give a more reasonable error message. I'll try to find a
> > solution for a better error message...
>
> Sounds like we need a fix to OpenSSL.  Isn't that what open source is all
> about?

Hmmm.. I've today looked at the stuff and it _cannot_ be solved 100% because
the problem is that mod_ssl falls back from PEM to Base64 and from there to
DER and the problem occurs at the last step with DER. And there exists no more
encryption possibility, so the error is correct. I've now changed mod_ssl for
2.3.0 so it distinguishes at least between these two problems better itself.
But for related errors the messages might be still a little bit confusing, of
course.