On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 11:05:38AM -0400, Adam D. McKenna wrote:
> From: Bodo Moeller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>> From what I've heard even RSAREF is not legal to use inside the US
>>> for commercial purposes.  However, verisign (a division of RSA)
>>> does not have a problem issuing certificates for servers running
>>> OpenSSL (SSLeay is actually what is mentioned).  They say this on
>>> their homepage and there is no mention of RSAREF.  This leads me
>>> to believe that RSA really doesn't care about people using OpenSSL
>>> (with RSAREF or without) within the US.

>> There are commercial web-servers based on SSLeay/OpenSSL that are
>> legal to use in the US.  Plus, if you desperately want to use a free
>> one, you can obtain an RSA license yourself -- but it'll likely be
>> much more costly than buying a commercial derivate of Apache.

> That's not what I meant.  What I was saying is that Verisign condones and
> supports the use of "freeware apache", and will issue certificates for it.
> Are you saying that this implies that the users of "freeware apache" have
> also purchased an RSA license?  That's not how I read it.  But you are free
> to look for yourself at
> http://digitalid.verisign.com/server/apacheNotice.htm

I see, they directly refer to freeware.  But Verisign has customers
not only in the U.S., and not every use of a HTTPS server is
commercial (as defined by the RSAREF license); so there are various
possibilities to get a Verisign certificate without buying a patent
license and without violating patents.