On Wed, Sep 29, 1999, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Full_Name: JP Donnio
> Version: 2.4.3
> OS: Linux
> Submission from: alix.cpod.fr (212.39.128.8)
>
> We still have problems with some users that want to connect to our
> apache 1.3.9 + mod_ssl 2.4.3 server. Specifically some browsers
> display network error. Example: netscape 4.5 on winnt
> some users of v4.6 of netscape have the same problems
> no problems at all will IE
> You can reproduce the bug easily with such navigators. Try to connect
> to https://www.fr.thawte.com
>
> PS: please note earlier fixes (2.4.2?) did fix a few of such problems
> but not all of them

I've tried your URL and https://ftp.ecrc.net/ (a box I've established
yesterday with mod_ssl 2.4.3/2.4.4) with all Netscape versions I've installed
on my FreeBSD box and my results were:

               https://www.fr.thawte.com/     https://ftp.ecrc.net/
Netscape 2.02  ok                             ok
Netscape 3.04  ok                             ok
Netscape 4.08  ok                             ok
Netscape 4.51  ok                             ok
Netscape 4.61  ok                             failed
Netscape 4.7   failed                         ok

This lets me thinking that it is a bug in the recent Netscape versions.  Sure,
it might be caused by the particular SSL protocol details OpenSSL speaks, but
even with other clients (e.g. Lynx+SSL, OpenSSL s_client) both websites work
correctly and I see a correct handshake in the debug outputs.  So I don't know
what I can do on the server side for those clients. What do you see in the
server logfiles for those failed connections?