On Wed, Sep 29, 1999, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Joe McMahon wrote:
> > > My Apache 1.3.9 server sends out images encrypted.
> > >
> > > How can I send images not encrypted and save some resources.
> > >
> > mod_proxy plus mod_rewrite is your friend.
> >
> > Create a fake URL for the graphics, say https://your.com/redirect_me/my.gif.
> >
> > RewriteEngine   on
> > RewriteRule     ^redirect_me/(.*)      http://your.com/$1   [P]
> >
> > I've forgotten the necessaries for turning on mod_proxy, but you get the idea.
> > The request is made securely, and the redirection is done silently inside
> > Apache.
>
> Doesn't this still mean those images are encrypted on their way out?  The
> point is to eliminate the overhead of SSL encryption.

Yeah, the above is useless, because it just adds another useless indirection
internally. With the above the data flows first through HTTP into mod_proxy
and then via HTTPS to the client, so the data is still encrypted and
additionally all you received is more load and increased request time on the
server.