"Ralf S. Engelschall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Sun, Oct 03, 1999, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> Yes, someone else also reported that the pass phrase dialog doesn't work
> correctly under Win32. But I cannot fix it myself, because I've both no real
> Win32 development environment available nor the knowledge to find out what
> Win32 dislikes in the mod_ssl/OpenSSL dialog. And I have also to admit that
> fixing Win32-*only* bugs is maximum low-priority on my TODO list, of course.
>
> So if you want the dialog fixed for Win32, you have to help me in finding out
> the problem. Where are the Win32 hackers under us? Can someone help us here
> and provide a patch to make the dialog working under this Win32 environment?
Ok, I've got the problem debugged somewhat more fully.

Password _reading_ works fine.
What doesn't work is that the prompt isn't getting printed.

EVP_read_pw_string() writes it's prompt to stderr, but
at this stage in the game, stderr has already been remapped.
To accomodate this, mod_ssl dup2()s stdout onto stderr,
but stdout has also been redirected under Win32. (I don't
know where) so this doesn't help.

I've successfully been able to open "con" in write mode
and write there, but for some reason the obvious handoff
to stderr with dup2() isn't working correctly. I suspect I've
made some trivial mistake, but I'm not sure what it is.

That said, if you blindly type in the password, the server
starts no problem, so it's easy to make it workable,
if a little ugly.

If I manage to produce a shippable patch, I'll post it.

-Ekr

--
[Eric Rescorla                                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]]
          PureTLS - free SSLv3/TLS software for Java