This behavior sounds like you have only one IP address shared among your
virtual hosts, and I can't tell otherwise from your description.

The FAQ explains why you need separate IPs; basically the certificate
negotiation takes place BEFORE the HTTP headers pass the Host: line for
discrimination among virtual hosts that share an IP.  If this were not the
case, the browser headers would be passed in cleartext.

So in your case, the certificate is already cached by your browser, so you
get the connection, and afterwards, mod_ssl learns that the certificate
does not match the VirtualHost being suggested by the HTTP headers, then
displays the correct host to match the certificate.