I'm trying to build Apache with mod_perl, mod_php, mod_ssl
and a couple easier to install mod_s(i.e. rewrite,proxy,so).

The conflict comes between
(I) mod_ssl-2.6.3-1.3.12
AND
(II) apache_1.3.12+ssl_1.40

If I build (I) first, then when I try to patch apache with
(II)'s FixPatch it fails with a couple Makefile errors
(skipping certificate, overriding certificate) and some
gcc errors when working with http_config.c (SSL_MAGIC_COOKIE
undeclared)

If I use (II)'s FixPatch first, I can't apply mod_ssl.

:The mod_ssl/2.6.3 can be used for Apache/1.3.12 only.
: Your Apache source tree is version 1.3.12 Ben-SSL/1.40

I was pretty sure that I needed to patch Apache.
I've gotten the 10x repeated build procedure pretty well
documented now, it's just that it doesn't seem to all
come together.

For the record:
Redhat 6.1
Perl   5.6.0 (same gcc used for stuff below)
Apache 1.3.12
modperl      (3 days old version, from CVS)
php-4.0RC1.tar.gz
mod_ssl-2.6.3-1.3.12
and all the stuff I could add for it like...
 rsaref20
 open_ssl-0.9.5a
 mm-1.0.12