On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 10:02:57AM +1000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Is there anyone here that is successfully using client certificates, to
> provide automatic validation, logons and session management.  In fact is
> there anyone that has got one of the above working reliably.

Yep.

> It seems to me that the client software built into the browsers (mostly IE)
> for SSL with client certificates is broken.  It is my understanding that
> once an SSL session is created that it should keep the same SSL session and
> resultant session ID (which we are trying to use for tracking a session,
> coincidentally) but it seems that it doesn't work.

You can't expect a session to live for any specified length of time -
both IE and Netscape have their own ideas about how long a session should
live. Reusing sessions is more a way of increasing performance than to
track "web-sessions". Use the certificate content for establishing identity
and maybe combine it with a standard session management system for
increased performance.

vh

Mads Toftum