On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Jan Vejvalka wrote:

> NameVirtualHost 1.2.3.4:443
>
> <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:443>
> ServerName host1.mydomain.dom
> DocumentRoot "/data/host1"
> ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:443>
> ServerName host2.mydomain.dom
> DocumentRoot "/data/host2"
> ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> </VirtualHost>
> (...)
>
> The rest of the virtual host configuration is the same (yes, using the
> same certificate for both hosts - I didn't try to change it, and I don't
> mind it in this application).
>
> I'm -sort-of- puzzled. Please help.

If you're using the same SSL configuration and the same certificate for
both hosts (generally not an option in the real world because of the
security alert boxes it brings up in the browser), then you won't _notice_
a problem with namevirtualhost.  That's because you're masking the fact
that both of the vhosts are using the config of ther FIRST one.  The fact
that they're the same means it doesn't matter if they each use their own
or if they both pick the same one.

But like I said, this doesn't work in general because normally each vhost
must have a certificate that matches its domain name lest trust error
messages get triggered in the browser and scary-looking dialog boxes pop
up in front of the user.

Make sense?

--Cliff