Jan,

What is the host name (common name) in the certificates ???
I suspect you have used *.mydomain.dom - correct ???

If so, then it is quite simple
1/. browser looks up DNS and gets IP,
2/. browser connects to IP port 443,
3/. apache provides FIRST certificate (which has CN=*.mydomain.dom - which
matches BOTH host1 & host2)
4/. browser and apache secure the connection
5/. browser send HTTP request over the secured channel
6/. apache uses the HTTP request to send to appropriate v-host..
7/. all APPEARS to work fine..

but NOTE!!! - if the certificate of the FIRST v-host does not match the DNS
name that the browser is requesting, the browser will generate an
error/popup indicating the names do not match...  Of course, if you hit
simpy hit OK, the browser and apache will still secure the connection -
using the FIRST certificate found..

What you have 'can' work ok PROVIDED ALL the v-hosts have the same domain
name (only changing the host part) and you use a wildcard certificate..
If you have DIFFERENT domain names, then this will ALWAYS produce an
error/popup as described..

Rgds
Jeff