[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Can I assign privet ip's to a virtual host and still server it on the web?
> Or will I have to buy public ips?

I assume you are trying to get round the problem of only-one-SSL-host
per IP address (otherwise there is no point in doing this for ordinary
HTTP).

Think it through... suppose you:

- set up a public IP on the outside interface of your firewall.
- set up many private IPs on your webserver inside the firewall.
- connect your webserver to the internal interface of the firewall.

All your firewall will receive is an HTTPS request on its public IP
address at port 443. How can it decide which internal address to send it
to? Remember that it doesn't have a ServerName yet so it can't use that.

I don't believe this is possible...

I know this is a real nuisance but it is a consequence of how SSL works
- all traffic (including the Servername) has to be encrypted so the SSL
session has to be established before any HTTP traffic can take place. So
only external TCP/IP attributes (IP and port no) can be used to route
packets.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.