On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Today when ran the mod_ssl 2.8.1 configuration script with the --force
> option I was prompted for "File to patch:".  Not knowing what to enter
> I hit ctrl-c to abort.  I received 3 or 4 of these "File to patch:"
> prompts, hitting ctrl-c each time, before the configuration script
> aborted.  I am unable to find additional information, in the
> documentation or on the mod_ssl web site, about the --force option or
> the file names I need to enter when prompted "File to patch".  Here's
> the command line I used:

This won't work well in general, particularly for widely varying versions
of Apache.  If you're going to get it to work at all, you'll probably have
to apply the EAPI patches by hand (where "by hand" I mean actually open up
the patch, see what change it's trying to make, find the equivalent code
if it exists in the other version of Apache, and make the equivalent
change).  While this will sort of work, it's obviously a less-than-optimal
solution.

The company you're dealing with must support a mod_ssl version and an
Apache version that match up.  If they tell you to use a certain mod_ssl
version, as I see it you have to assume that they want you to use the
Apache version that that mod_ssl is designed to work with.  Forcing people
to patch Apache by hand is not conducive to a stable, supportable server,
and I just can't believe that that's really what they want you to do.

--Cliff