Well, it would mabe be smart to put all the certs and a startup script with
passphrases on an encrypted disk, where you have to manually mount the
encrypted disk, then run the script. Or you could leave the certs in
unencrypted space, and just have the script encrypted. Then unmount the
encrypted partitionwhen the script has been used? This would require some
manual interaction, but it would secure your script.
I have also been told there is to be a new version of stronghold (I don't
know if this works on *nix though), with a hardware "keyfile" which plugs
into an usb port. With it attached it's possible to mount the partition,
but without it's blocked.