OpenSSL is a separate issue, really. It is normally found in /usr/local/src. I am
using 0.9.6c currently, which I download as a tar.gz to my /usr/local/src file,
uncompress it with: gzip -dc openssl-0.9.6c.tar.gz | tar xf -
cd /usr/local/src/openssl-0.9.6c
./config shared
make all test install   ... and voila!

Apache 2.0 includes its own mod_ssl as part of the 'new look'. That gives you
encryption while openssl gives you certification services.

FWIW I prefer to remove rpm installations for Apache, mod_ssl, mozilla, netscape,
opera and sendmail so I can keep painlessly up-to-date. Its not everybody's cup of
tea, but I've been doing it this way for years and I like the feeling of being 'in
control' of these crucial elements.

Hope that helps ...

George

--