Thanks everyone, we now have everything working fine.

A quick howto for beginners (who perhaps experience what we have
experienced):

If you want win2k + mod-ssl, don't trust the apache HOWTO at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/platform/win_compiling.html, they may
be fine for those who don't need ssl (and those people can simply use
the supplied binaries) but they are wrong if you need ssl.

Firstly, don't use the perl examples given on apache.org to prepare and
compile openssl, use the instructions in INSTALL.W32 that comes with the
openSSL source.

We eventually found that with visual C++ 6 we could compile apache
without ssl fine. Later we compiled mod-ssl alone (also in VC++) and
moved the mod-ssl.so binary to the modules folder in the apache
installation.

And that's it, except you need to know how to start Apache in "ssl
mode".

from the console in the apache\bin use

>apache -D SSL

to install apache to run as a service with SSL

>apache -i -D SSL

Hope this helps someone out there, and thanks to everyone who helped us!

John.