Sander Steffann wrote:

>>Shaun Erickson wrote:
>>
>>when I installed red hat's 1.3.22 apache rpm, it does in fact include a
>>libssl.so module, which does get loaded in the httpd.conf.ssl file on
>>the system. (I was looking for mod_ssl.so).
>>

>Are you sure?? I have the latest RPM from RedHat (apache-1.3.22-5.6) and it
>does not contain any file which has 'ssl' in its name. Maybe you still have
>an old version of libssl.so on your system. This could also explain the
>crashes you see.

Yes, that's exactly what I discovered later. The more I dug into the
problem, the more I learned and understood.

To get my server working again, I downloaded the rpm for the older
version I'd been running, from Red Hat, and re-installed that.
Everything is fine again.

Now, I am learning how to build the server and extra modules from
source, so that I: 1) learn how to do it, 2) have the latest releases to
draw upon, instead of Red Hat's lagged-behind software, with back-ported
patches, 3) know exactly how everything is built.

My client will get a nicely running server that meets his needs, and I
will have learned quite a bit, which goes right to the bottom-line of my
resume. :)

    -ste