At 14:23 -0400 14/07/02, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:
>I wrote:
>>  Now, I am learning how to build the server and extra modules from
>>source, so that I: 1) learn how to do it, 2) have the latest
>>releases to draw upon, instead of Red Hat's lagged-behind software,
>>with back-ported patches, 3) know exactly how everything is built.
>
>And I have now, after a few hours of  hair pulling, succeeded in
>building an
>apache_1.3.26/mm-1.1.3/openssl-0.9.6d/mod_ssl-2.8.10-1.3.26 server.
>
>Now I have to learn how to add php-4.2.1 & mod_perl-1.27 to this mix.
>
>This isn't easy, but a little bit of success sure starts to make it fun. :)

You may want to try out Apache eXtenSions (APXS), which is a nice way
of working with dynamic shared objects. I discovered this about a
week ago and I really love it. It makes working with Apache modules
really easy.

I've set up a small web page giving some recipes for adding APXS
modules (including php and mod_perl) to Apache:
http://logidac.com/apache/apxs/

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

You'll notice that mod_ssl is not in the list, because of the bug I
described in my message from Saturday.

Regards,
GFK's
--