My advice would be to install a completely new server from scratch and
install it in a different directory to your current Redhat installed one.

All you need do once the new install is complete is kill the old server and
restart the new one.  Once happy with the new install you can edit your
startup configuration so the new server is started on a reboot or restart.

Your can then either copy or symbolically link back to the content from your
original setup.

This way if it all goes wrong you can immediately switch back to the
previous server.

As for instructions the INSTALL documents included with the Apache and
Mod_SSL distros have a pretty good walk through procedure.

You will ideally need to install (from source or RPM) the latest version of
OpenSSL (at least 0.9.6e) before you start and then download the latest
version of Apache and Mod_SSL from the main sites (http://httpd.apache.org/
and http://www.modssl.org/)

Download the .... blaaaahh.tar.gz files  ..

Then issue the following command (in a suitable directory) to unpack them.

gzip -d -c blaaaahh.tar.gz | tar xvf -

The will then unpack the files into directories. Inside these your will find
the instructions (start with README and INSTALL).

Depending on how familar you are with scripting you can setup an install
script to run the various configure and make command used to build the
server from source. I use this to maintain the 6 Apache servers I run and
can rebuild each one from source in about 8 minutes flat.

To update servers at a later date simply do the following .... Download and
rebuild new server issuing every command except the final "make install".
Stop the current server. Renew current install directory (/usr/local/apache
for example) to /usr/local/apache.bak  ... then go back to the directory
where your made the new server and issue the "make install" command.  If
your web content exists outside of the /usr/local/apache directory (which
ideally it should), then all you need do now is copy the "httpd.conf" file
into the new /usr/local/apache directory and restart the server.  In case of
an problems stop the server, rename the directory back, restart and you are
back to where you started ... (easy once you've done it a few times !!!).

Regards,

Phil,

Sheffield,
England,