You actually have several options:

1. Use the mod_ssl, mm and apache package that come with the Red Hat Linux
7.3 system. These are out of date, but you can get the latest by registering
with https://rhn.redhat.com. Some people don't like the fact that these are
not the latest versions, merely "backported" to the latest fix. It doesn't
bother me though. The latest openssl update from Red Hat prevents the "linux
slapper" worm from infecting your systems.

2. Remove the apache, mm and mod_ssl rpm packages and recompiling them.

In the second case, you have two options:

1. Compile against the openssl that comes with 7.3. In this case you'll need
to install the openssl-devel rpm package.
2. Compile against the latest openssl files. In that case I believe you'd
need to install the openssl binary into a directory other than /usr/bin (see
http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.cgi#BUILD8). If I'm wrong on this
hopefully someone will correct me, but I've always believed that you need
the same version of openssl installed somewhere that you used to compile
mod_ssl.

There is always the option of creating RPMs from either of the above
options.

Don't remove the openssl package that comes with 7.3 though. You'll break
several packages that come with 7.3 such as ssh, sendmail and nearly all the
email programs.

I used to compile apache and mod_ssl, but now I prefer to wait for the
packages from Red Hat.

-
John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNA, RHCE
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Theories of evolution are like buses - there'll be another one along in a
minute

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk