On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 17:09:10 -0500, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> P.S.  I'm not sure if the CC method of replying is automatic or
> not, but I'm subscribed to the list, so I'm getting two copies of
> everything.

I wonder what is proper Usenet etiquette.  In the business world, you direct the reply
"To:" the original poster and you "Cc:" others who need to be informed of the content
of your memo/e-mail.  So that's why I've been sending the "To:" copy to the OP or the
person to whom I'm directly replying or quoting most frequently, and "Cc:"ing the
list.  But that means the "To:" recipient gets 2 copies.  Is this a case where
business etiquette and Usenet etiquette are not congruent?

There is one case where I *want* someone replying to my post to reply to me *and* cc
the list.  That's where I subscribe to a mailing list in "daily digest" form.  If I
post to such a list, I don't mind at all getting an immediate, direct reply even
though I know I'll see the same reply within 24 hours as part of the daily digest.
(But this list does not have high enough volume for me to want to see only a digest.)

jimk