Jim Cromie wrote:
Aran Deltac wrote:

The intent of this data is for general purpose geographic comparison - not graphical mapping!

Since youve bothered to make this point explicitly, perhaps the namespace could also say so.

Hmmm, you're getting my wheels turning. Well, this is a good point. I'm deffinately not ruling out the possiblity of using Geo::Data modules for actual mapping, its just not the intent right now and is not optimized for this activity. If someone really needed this capability it would make much more sense to put some torpedos and hull plating on to Geo::Data rather than make a whole new namespace such as Geo::Data::Mapping or whatever it may be.

IOW - what (related) namespace would carry the maps/mapping that youre not doing ?
Geo::Mapping ? Geo::Maps ? Geo::Data::Mapping ?
Theres already a Geo::GPS::Data, Do you have a suitable/corresponding 2LD that would work ?
theres already a Geo::PostalCode - you might contact TJMATHER and inquire whether
Geo::PostalCode::CensusData is fitting - if not, Geo::ZipCode::CensusData.
CensusData is probably too specific, but Data needs somesort of qualifier, a 2LD, or a prefix.

Well, this is neither postal code or census data. Some of this data is derived from the Census bureau, and one of the set is postal codes, but these namespaces would be misleading.

Also, the combination of Geo::Distance and Geo::Data::US::ZCTA just about replaces Geo::PostalCode. Which, way back when, was my goal. Geo::PostalCode was designed to do one thing. I figured the something could be written that same thing plus a whole lot more. Thus came Geo::Distance, and just recently the Geo::Data::* stuff.

> Naming the (not yet existing ?) namespaces that could share your
> environment is playing nice,
> youre inviting them to join your game.  For instance, what if someone
> were trying to add
> modules to support Route-Planning, Navigation ?
>
> Hold that thought - IMO the Geo:: namespace is already a mess; it
> contains both Geometry and Geography stuff,
> and multiple Geo::Weather*, and Geo::Stormtracker
> all of which (in retrospect) could have been Geo::Weather::

Ya, I always thought it weird what kind of stuff is strewn all over Geo::. Its really should be like schooling - you have different departments, Math, History, Geography, Archaeology, Biology, etc. So, that would mean geometry would be a subset of math, and would be Math::Geo:;, not plain old Geo::. Oh well.

Perhaps a whole new namespace for geography stuff. How about...

GIS::*  (Bad idea, GIS is a subset of digitized geography)
Geography::*
Spatial::*

As a side note - as we explore and colonize more planets we may need to add on planet prefixes to this modules. Like Geography::Mars::* :)

Geography::Data::*  <-- Objectisized geographic data.
Geography::Coords::*  <-- Classes to represent coordinates and do
                 conversions (similar layout to the Crypt::* modules)
etc...

How serious are people about putting in some effort to put an official stamp on a namespace for this kind of stuff? Does someone else want to figure this out, or is this thread on module-authors good enough to discuss it as a group, or should I head it up, or...?

obviously this is just carping, but it begs the question :

Is there sufficient justification for someone to write an Acme::Module::Rename ?
collect advice on good Module-names
collect techniques to support migration
ie: perl -pi.bak tricks, and simple script to use them.
old-name-closer.pl
rewrites the existing package to new one. writes the last version of the old-namespace module, which wraps the new namespace one.
maybe this is just POD of best practices..

No comments here. :)

Thanks for the comments Jim.

Aran

my $martian = Geography::Planets->retrieve(name=>'Mars')->
  People->retrieve(antler_color=>'purple',limit=>1,order_by=>'age');
$martian->say_hello();
"Hello Mars!"

I imagine theres quite a bit out there - perhaps its worth collecting ?

If anyone responds to this point, a new subject is probably warranted :-O

Every data type has
I want to hear people either cry or laugh hysterically before I actually show some code (I need to pod and do some organizing on it too). So, anyone find this intriguing?

Also, are these namespaces ok?

Aran

.