On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:05:31AM -0600, Chris Josephes wrote:
> Version numbering is an authorship issue.  If I took over module Widget
> from author XYZ, I'd probably use higher version numbers than author X
> used to signify a newer release.  To be sure, I'd also include POD
> documentation identifying my version of Widget to be a replacement for the
> version from author XYZ.

If I'm looking for a module to do a job, I use search.cpan, and check by name;
then, for likely candidates, I check out the README.  I don't have time to
read the POD too; I've got a job to do.

Version numbering works great for linear systems, which generally occur only
with single authorship.  If you do your own version of Term::ProgressBar, and
call it 3.00, and someone else does too, they will probably call it... 3.00.
Boom!

Mx.