On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Sam Vilain wrote:

> Perhaps you're personally happy with search.cpan.org, but a little
> extra directory and indexing information can't hurt for those who
> can't discern the coding prowess of the author at a single glance at
> an API, and who don't hang out with Perl geeks for 90% of their waking
> hours.

I think the main reason the modules list as it stands is not that useful
is _because_ it's not being actively maintained and
re-organized/categorized as needed.  If someone (Sam) were to take on this
task, I think it could become much more useful.

Plus the current module list is integrated into search.cpan.org, it's just
that no one uses it ;)  The top page includes links for the module list
categories!

-dave

House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com