On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Sam Vilain wrote:

> Pure data and structures:
>
>    - Pure algorithm implementations (c.f. C++ STL)
>    - Class generator frameworks
>    - Parameter parsing modules
>    - Data Schema modules - tree-based (eg XMLSchema)
>    - Data Schema modules - general (eg YAML::Schema)
>    - Code modelers and CASE tool plug-ins

- "Classic CS" data structures (b-tree, heap, etc.)
- Date & Time modules

>    - Internationalisation and Localisation

I think this actually belongs in a top-level category.  It's pretty
important, and it isn't necessarily something someone would think of as
"string-related".

>    - Object/Relational mappers & hybrids

* Relational/Object mappers (Alzabo & Class::DBI go here)

> Imaging, Images, Multimedia:
>
>    - Sound manipulation
>    - Image Conversion
>    - Raster Image Manipulation
>    - Vector Image Manipulation

How many people think of this as Raster vs. Vector?

>    - File Archiving
>    - File Compression

I'd combine these, since things like zip files are both, and there's not
_that_ many modules in this space anyway.

I think we're missing some categories:

- Module instalation and creation - CPAN, CPANPLUS, Module::Build,
Module::Install, etc.

- Templating systems (maybe under the String/Natural language category)

- Application frameworks (Mason, CGI::Application, Maypole, AxKit,
Pipeline?)

- Logging & Debugging support (under Code Development, I'd think)

Also, I think Randy's suggestion of a Sourceforge Trove-style
implementation is a good one.

-dave

House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com