* Ken Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-03-01 20:50]:
> My point goes beyond this example, though: I think the reason
> you feel like you should be able to divide by zero in this case
> is that there's a point discontinuity (an exception case) at
> zero that you feel like should be fairly easy to fill in.
> Usually the best way to deal with such things, though, is to
> eliminate that discontinuity in the first place.

Which is pretty much exactly my thoughts. When someone thinks they
"need" to be able to divide by zero they usually simply don't
have enough mathematical tools at their disposal to solve the
problem correctly. Solving the problem correctly doesn't mean
guarding all divisions with a check for a zero denominator and a
special case treatment, it means transforming the equations
involved in a way that gets rid of the special case entirely.

Aristotle
"If you can't laugh at yourself, you don't take life seriously enough."