Brendan Leber wrote:

> First, let me apologize for my extremely late reply.  Right after I
> started receiving replies I suffered some pretty serious system
> failures.  I'm now back and replying to old messages.  B
>

> On Mar 2, 2006, at 9:20 AM, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
>
> > It sounds like this usage is part of the foundation (if not "base")
> > class Math::Interval which Brendan will need even though he might not
> > be working directly on those bits.
>
> Yes, the foundation of the class will have functions that support
> traditional interval functions such as overlap() and intersect().

Out of curiosity, is there a common agreement on these 'traditional
interval functions'?
The most referenced proposal I'm aware of are the so called Allen
relations:

  Maintaining Knowledge about Temporal Intervals
  by James F. Allen

They are - as the title suggests - somewhat biased towards temporal
types (e.g. relation 'during').
A perl implementation is done in Date::Interval:

  <http://search.cpan.org/~ktorp/Interval.0.03/Interval.pm>

Although the book

  Temporal Data and the Relational Model
  by C.J. Date, Hugh Darwen, Nikos Lorentzos

<http://books.google.com/books?ie=UTF-8&vid=ISBN1558608559&id=grTubz0fjSEC&pg=PA91&lpg=PA91&l&sig=PQpCSlzWNl_uS66gfX3Lw2RK-WY>

is also biased towards temporal types, the authors generalized the
interval type: it's a type generator parameterized by a point type.
By the way, 'during' was renamed to 'includes'. I have to admit I
like their proposal.

Are there other essential sources worth to consider?

Steffen Goeldner