# from Dave Rolsky
# on Friday 13 April 2007 10:27 am:

>Yeah, I haven't gotten that far, but it's certainly possible in the
>design. My idea was that a test set could have a custom config file of
>some sort.

Aside: I've just recently started a "Comprehensive Perl Developer Kit",
which is primarily a way to automate common developer tasks by using
config files containing series of directives.

If your 'svn up' support and other aspects were configured as pre_smoke
directives in a config, that might make it more easily adaptable than
if the code has to be subclassed to do something different.

CPDK is still very half-baked, but perhaps you can get some mileage out
of the CPDK::Config scheme of inheritable machine/user+project config
files.  That, and the svn config.  (Hmm, maybe half of CPDK::Publish is
really CPDK::Action or something more generic.)

The config scheme looks like the following link.  I think you can
extrapolate most of the plan from that.  The other thing I'm planning
is something to do with traits specified via the config (e.g. "$action
=> ModuleName::ContainingIt" or "$action => Mod::Name::method_name()")
to give the option of extending with code to allow for plugins when
there isn't a ready-made action that does what you want.

http://scratchcomputing.com/svn/CPDK/trunk/demos/trial01/.perl_developer.yml

My dream (or delusion) is that a standardized, overridable config data
structure could enable multiple tools to cooperate and reuse the same
code/data for related tasks.  Building and testing are pretty closely
related, especially when you start involving version control,
automating tasks across multiple codebases, etc.

--Eric
--
Introducing change is like pulling off a bandage: the pain is a memory
almost as soon as you feel it.