On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Arthur Corliss
<corl...@digitalmages.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 May 2009, Jonathan Yu wrote:
>
>> Not totally pointless, of course, because it would still require
>> regenerating a rainbow table versus downloading one of them already
>> available. On the other hand, depending how popular your application
>> gets, this can be dangerous -- take for example Microsoft's Lan
>> Manager Hash algorithm, LMHash. Even though it is a specialized
>> algorithm, it became popular enough to make it feasible/useful to
>> create and distribute rainbow tables for. So your point is valid in
>> that case, and it never hurts security nor is it a big deal on
>> performance.
>
> I would suggest that the benefit of a static salt is marginal in best since
> many of these hash algorithms aren't exactly computationally intensive on
> today's hardware.  If you have a guy trying to crack passwords from a shadow
> file he's only got to generate one table for all of them, versus a table per
> account.  It's an order of magnitudes more difficult in that regard,
> especially if you expand the scope to all users of an application every
> where.
That's a pretty valid point. If it's a simple auth system as I
understand it, though, then the users don't have different
permissions, so there's really no point in cracking *all* of the
passwords if you can download all the data with one.

Still, good point. Thanks for that :-)

>> And /dev/random can be slow, so urandom is a better suggestion, or
>> even better, using /dev/random to seed a random number generator
>> algorithm like the Mersenne Twister (which is essentially what
>> /dev/urandom does)
>
> Which was why included urandom as a suggestion.
Indeed, I was just clarifying for the benefit of others reading this message.